It’s the middle of July and it is HOT here in Cincinnati. Like so hot you sweat on the trip from your front door to your car. So hot you’ve considered a GI Jane hair style. So hot you don’t even want your shorts touching your thighs… So of course, you need to make a summer skirt! I meant to make a few at the beginning of the summer, but I let other projects take priority (i.e. sewing for my kids.) I say it’s time to sew for ourselves, and there is still plenty of hot sticky summer left.
These are our top ten favorite skirt tutorials. No, not for your cute little girl, for you!
First the easy-breezy elastic waist varieties:
1. Anna Maria Horner’s beautiful Flirting the Issue Skirt includes lining.
2. The Freshly Picked version is the perfect skirt for beginners- simple construction, good practice sewing fabric directly onto elastic, and pockets.
3. Love the big gathered pockets on MADE’s skirt.
Extra details at the waist dress things up a little:
4. This Stand & Deliver skirt would be gorgeous in some of our light weight voile.
5. Love the way this Pinwheel skirt has that added layer of pleats cascading down the front. We have the perfect eyelet trim for this.
6. This cute Paper Bag Skirt tutorial includes great instructions for putting in a zipper.
7. This skirt has the paper bag look as well, but with an elastic waist and a little more swing.
These skirts could keep it casual or dress it up in the evening:
8. Yet another great pocket style from Running with Scissors. Also learn how to shir the waist.
9. I love the scallop hem on this one. And it’s reversible!
10. A great fitted style from Noodlehead, inspired by vintage pyrex.
And don’t forget the great adult skirt patterns we carry at Sewn. Each of these have enough options to keep you outfitted for the next three summers!
We want to see your SEWN skirt creations, so don’t forget to send us your pictures. Happy summer skirt sewing